I am no longer offering commissions, as I am now focusing on the art that I want to do to satisfy my own soul. However, I am keeping this information available in the event that I get any requests that I agree to do.
What are Digital Portrait Paintings?
Digital portrait paintings are portraits painted digitally directly on a computer using software like Photoshop or Painter and a graphics tablet and pen. Though digital art can be created using a variety of tools and filters and photos, actual digital painting is done using the same techniques that traditional artists use. They are done by simulating brushes, paint, pencils, and erasers. Don’t be fooled by people who simply take your photo and run it through a filter to make it look kind of like a painting. Those are low quality, take no effort to create, and make bad prints.
My paintings are created at a high resolution, so that they can be printed up to 16×20 inches in size (and possibly higher). This gives you the option of having an original, personalized piece of art at a fraction of the cost of a traditional painting on canvas.
What You Get
I will deliver to you a high resolution image file printable up to 16×20 inches (41×51 centimeters) at 150dpi or 8×10 inches (20×25 centimeters) at 300dpi.
- The image will look like a painting. I will not simply create an exact copy of a photo; what’s the point in that, right?
- I paint digital portraits with only the brush and eraser in Photoshop, using a Wacom drawing tablet (pictured above). I do not use filters or smudge tools.
- I do not simply edit or paint over the photo; the photo is not present in the making of the painting except as a reference for me to look at.
- I retain the right to use the painting on my website and in my portfolio. You are granted permission to make unlimited copies and prints (on your own, not through me) of your painting without any extra fees.
- I will not sell your image to anyone else unless we specifically agree in writing that I can. (This agreement would only apply to fantasy portraits which may appeal to a larger audience.)
- You may not represent my work as your own work or remove my signature from it.
- You may not resell my work in digital or print form. If you want a painting to resell, this will require an additional fee.
Here are some additional samples. Click the images to see them larger.
- $180 – Single regular portrait
- $150 – Each additional person
- Contact me for an estimate on fantasy portraits. These tend to take more time to do.
- You may be able to receive a discount on fantasy portraits if you grant me permission to sell prints of your painting to others. Ask me if this discount is applicable when you inquire about fantasy portraits.
- $20 and up – Prints of your portrait delivered to you (Includes shipping; details coming soon)
- If your order is under $300, I require full payment up front.
- If your order is over $300, I require 50% up front and the rest upon completion. This is non-refundable. Fees are locked at current rates upon the 50% deposit and will not go up.
- Payment will be made via Paypal and does not require that you have a Paypal account. I will send you the information on how to pay once your order is accepted.
- One month after I have finished the painting, if the client hasn’t sent the rest of the payment, I have the right to sell the art and prints to any interested third party. The original client will then have a limited right to use the small preview for personal use only.
In order for me to paint your portrait, I will need a good quality photo of the face and shoulders.
Above is an example of a good quality photo and the resulting portrait. Click the images to view them larger.
- I need to be able to make out the details, so blurry, grainy, or badly lit photos will not work.
- Anything run through Instagram filters is probably not good enough quality. If in doubt, please feel free to ask me first!
- You may send me several options of photos I can refer to.
- Photos can be black and white or color. If they are black and white, give me an indication of skin tone, hair and eye color, and if you prefer any specific color scheme.
The turnaround time will vary depending on what else I have going on at the time. If you would like your commission to be moved to the front of my list, this will incur an additional fee and be subject to a first come, first serve policy. (That is, you can’t pay to move yours up in front of someone else who has already paid to move theirs up. Yours would come after theirs.)
Get Yours Now!
Please contact me via the contact form and describe what you want. I will reply to the email address you provide, and we will work everything out from there.